12/10 responses


Choose 1 sentence from each story that struck you in some manner (strong like or dislike, or interest, or intrigue, or whatever) and type it out, and email me it, so that you'll be emailing me 5 sentences, 1 from each story:

1. [sentence from Diane Williams story]
2. [sentence from Grace Paley story]
3. [sentence from John Haskell story]
4. [sentence from Denis Johnson story]
5. [sentence from Larry Brown story]
___________________________________

Joe Pfister

1. Diane Williams: "We were not wrong in believing that she had been a full-fledged girl at one point."
2. Grace Paley: "She said to him, Talk to me a little. We don't talk so much anymore."
3. John Haskell: "Painting was a way to change, not only the world, but the way he was in the world, and that's why he cultivated, not desire, but something like desire, something inside of him that would eat at him until either he or the world was different."
4. Denis Johnson: "On the farther side of the field, just beyond the curtains of snow, the sky was torn away and the angels were descending out of a brilliant blue summer, their huge faces streaked with light and full of pity."
5. Larry Brown: "I wanted to reach for a beer, but I'd been raised not to drink in front of my mother."


Sam Courant
Diane Williams:
"I'll have a cup of tea!" Diane said.
They all agreed with her about that.

Grace Paley:
You and your Communist ideas. We saw them already, Papa and me, in 1905. We guessed it all

John Haskell:
He was hoping she would do something or say something or want some thing so that he could give it to her and get the feeling over with.

Denis Johnson:
It was one of the moments you stay in, to hell with all the troubles of before and after. The sky is blue and the dead are coming back.

Larry Brown:
But why couldn't she be some goddess, kneeling in the streets of New York for the right prophet to come along? With the rain in her face, black hair beautiful, screaming for me?


Micah Weiss

Mother: "Then she died."
Very, Very, Red: "Diane doesn't have your confidence or your courage, but Mary, she is a good person."
Dream of a Clean Slate: "I am not Jackson Pollock"
92 days: "It started off hot.  The narrator was screaming things about lost pussy, and alleycats rutting behind garbage cans.  It had the heat of a summer night in the city in it.  It had people on dope, switchblades, and cops who slapped the hell out of people and screamed in their faces.  It had people trapped on fire escapes and gorillas loose from the zoo.  It had everything in it.  I was a little pissed that I hadn't written it.  It was A-OK."
Emergency: "On the farther side of the field, just beyond the curtains of snow, the sky was torn away and the angels were descending out of a brilliant blue summer, their huge faces streaked with light and full of pity.  The sight of them cut through my heart and down the knuckles of my spine, and if there'd been anything in my bowels I would have messed my pants from fear."


Brittney Decker


1.     Diane is life-like.
2.     She said sadly, if you come home at 4 a.m. when you’re seventeen, what time will you come home when you’re twenty?
3.     She was an artist and so she had that fiery vein of emotionality right below the surface, and now it was right on the surface, open and flowing, and she was yelling, “What the fuck are you doing to me?”
4.     Georgie came back to my side of the truck with his shirtfront stretched out in front of him as if he were carrying apples in it, or some such, but they were, in fact, slimy miniature bunnies.
5.     All she wanted was to be filled with hatred and bitterness for the rest of her life, and to turn her life into a secret and twisted and perverted thing that would torment her as badly as it would me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home